Monday, February 14, 2011

Stop and I.D. without Probable Cause

So last week on the 11th around 2:00am after work I was out my bike ride to get some exercise. My back was killing me that night from work so I stopped to take a break over by Bollman Reservoir in North Concord.

A Concord Police officer drives by in middle of the street and asks me what I'm doing. Told him just taking a break. Right away he wanted to know my name, address of where I live and where I work. It's none of his business to start with considering no laws had been broken.

I told him there was no reason to identify myself. He was blinding me with his spotlight so I couldn't even see who this officer was. He never did get out of his car. We did get into a shouting match. He was getting very angry because I was standing up to him and didn't want to provide any I.D. to him.

After a few minutes, this officer in an angry tone yells out from his vehicle "Listen, I'm the last fucking guy you want to mess with out here"!!!

I wasn't really sure how to take that. I felt threatened by this officer. It was definitely the wrong choice of words to use with me!

So now it's time to stir the pot with the CPD and find out who this officer was. He was blinding me the whole time with his spotlight. I've already made a complaint with my senator's office and sent an e-mail to one of the captains of the CPD.

I feel like I can't even stand up for my own given rights here in Concord without being threatened by our own police officers!

3 comments:

Administrator said...

There is no Stop and I.D. statute in the state of California. The police can stop you if they want to make friendly conversation but when they start getting an attitude and want to see your I.D., you do NOT have to provide it as long as no laws have been broken. Only when you're in a vehicle but not when you're out on the streets taking a walk or riding your bike.

The CPD looks the other way with this current law. They violate this law probably on a daily basis. For the people like me who stand up to them and refuse to provide any I.D., we then get threatened by these police officers. Common practice with the Concord Police.

I'm sure it will happen again down the road sometime by an officer who thinks he owns Concord. Next time it occurs, I'll stand up to them just like I did last week. I'll do it again and again until these officers learn the hard way that they can't go around violating peoples rights.

Anonymous said...

Concord PD is by far not my favorite agency, however, look around Concord- there's a problem with crime. I don't care if they ask everyone for their ID, that very resistance seems pointless to me. It also stirs the pot and creates negative encounters. It seems like a lot of people who have negative encounters with police have them because they start with a bad attitude towards the cops to begin with. I'd be thrilled if I were out riding my bike at night and a cop checked up on me.

Anonymous said...

Anon 9:38pm

Then go ahead and take some bike rides at night and let us know how your encounters turn out with the CPD. Apparently you've never dealt with these guys before.

It's good that the cops check up on people who are out exercising in the early morning hours but they need to do it without the attitude! If you think that some of these officers in the Concord Police are nice when they stop you out of the blue then you have another thing coming.