Saturday, April 14, 2012

Stopped without probable cause again

So this morning I was out on my bike ride around 3:30am getting some exercise which is my normal routine in the spring and summer when I get off of work late at night. I've been doing this for over 10 years. I was standing on a curb facing the opposite direction of traffic talking to a buddy of mine on my cell who was at work. I had the rear light on my bike on but not the front.

A Concord Police officer drives by and stops in the middle of the road and comes over to speak with me. Right off the bat he wants to know "WHY" I'm out at that time of the morning? First off I had to hang up with my buddy who I was in the middle of a conversation with. I replied to the officer "Why, is there a law saying I can't ride my bike at this time of the morning?" I probably sounded like a smartass but I've been through this so many times over the years with these guys so I'm tired of being Mr. Nice Guy to them.

So the officer wanted my I.D. which I didn't have and at first I even refused to provide it to him. Then I was threatened to be arrested for not providing I.D. and not having my light on the front of my bike. I explained to him that I wasn't even riding at the time so there was no reason to have it on. Then he said I was facing the wrong direction of traffic but I told him I wasn't riding. I was getting one excuse after another. He again threatened to take me in for not providing I.D. so he can find out who I was and to make sure I didn't have any warrants out for my arrest.

So what this is saying is that the Concord Police CAN stop anybody they want at anytime of the day "Without Probable Cause" and run your I.D. to make sure you don't have any warrants out for your arrest. As far as what I've read up on that's against the law. They can't get away with that. The CPD has a long history of abusing this law. The state of California does not have a Stop And I.D. Statute meaning the Police just can't stop you for the hell of it without probable cause and run your I.D.. That's if you're out taking a walk or on a bike ride. If you get stopped in a vehicle then you have to provide I.D..

This is only a problem with the CPD's younger officers in their 20's and 30's. About 20 min. after this happened, I was standing in the same spot talking to my buddy who pulled up beside me. Another Concord Police officer in his 50's pulled up beside us and asked my buddy if he worked there at the water district behind us which he does. The officer then said ok and was on his way! That's the difference between your mature officers and younger officers who think they own the place.


When I stand up for my rights and refuse to provide my I.D. to these officers I then get threatened with being arrested. That's not right. So it's time to stir the pot again with the Concord Police.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This post couldn't be written much better! Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I will send this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!
Feel free to visit my blog : losing weight